Date: Sunday, September 24, 2023
Time: 1:00 PM ET & 12:00 PM CST
Location: Ford Field, Detroit, MI
Atlanta Falcons vs. Detroit Lions Matchup Preview
The Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions will face off in Week 3 of the 2023 NFL season, both looking to continue their early-season success.
The Falcons have been one of the biggest surprises of the young season, starting out 2-0 with wins over the New Orleans Saints and Green Bay Packers. Atlanta Falcons quarterback Desmond Ridder has looked impressive in his two starts, throwing for 550 yards and five touchdowns with just one interception.
Additionally, Atlanta’s running game has also been a strength, led by rookie running back Bijan Robinson. Furthermore, Robinson has rushed for 180 yards and two touchdowns in two games.
Ultimately, the Lions are also coming off a Week 2 win, defeating the Washington Commanders 38-30. Detroit’s offense has been clicking, averaging 31.5 points per game through the first two weeks.
Lions Quarterback Jared Goff has been solid, throwing for 581 yards and five touchdowns with one interception. Running back David Montgomery has also been a key contributor. Meanwhile, he has rushed for 185 yards and two touchdowns in two games.
This matchup should be a high-scoring affair, with both teams boasting potent offenses. In the end, Atlanta’s running game could be the difference, as Detroit’s run defense has been susceptible at times. Finally, Ridder will also need to continue to play well, as he will be facing a Lions pass defense that is ranked seventh in the NFL in passing yards allowed per game.
NFL Game Prediction
In the end, I like the Falcons to win this game by a narrow margin. Atlanta’s running game should be able to exploit Detroit’s run defense, and Ridder has shown that he can be a playmaker when he’s on his game.
Final Score Prediction: Falcons 31, Lions 27
Additional Thoughts on the Falcons-Lions Matchup
- The Falcons ultimately have a good track record against the Lions, winning six of the last seven meetings.
- The Lions are 4-1 at home against the Falcons in their last five meetings.
- The Falcons are 5-3 in their last eight games as road underdogs.
- The Lions are 1-3 in their last four games as home favorites.
- Falcons Desmond Ridder (QB): Ridder will need to have another solid game if the Falcons want to win. He will also need to make good decisions in the passing game and avoid turnovers.
- Falcons Bijan Robinson (RB): Robinson will be the key to Atlanta’s running game. In addition, he will need to exploit Detroit’s run defense and rack up some yards on the ground.
- Lions Jared Goff (QB): Goff will need to have a big game if the Lions want to win. Finally, he will need to make good decisions in the passing game and avoid turnovers.
- Lions Amon-Ra St. Brown (WR): St. Brown is Detroit’s top receiver. He will need to have a big game if the Lions want to win as well.
- Lions Aidan Hutchinson (DE): Hutchinson is Detroit’s top pass rusher. He will also need to put pressure on Ridder and disrupt the Falcons’ passing game.
In conclusion, this should be a close and exciting game between two teams that are looking to continue their early-season success. All in all, I like the Falcons to win by a narrow margin, but it could go either way.
All odds are courtesy of Action247 Sportsbook. Good luck!!
* All odds provided by Action247 Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
**All views expressed are my own. My picks are my own and are not a guarantee, bet at your own risk.
Action247 does not warrant the accuracy of completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these post.