Time: 1:00 PM ET
Location: Mercedes-Benz Stadium
The Houston Texans and Atlanta Falcons are both 2-2 heading into Week 5, and this matchup could be one of the closest games of the week. The Texans have been one of the biggest surprises of the season, as they’ve won two of their last three games after starting the season 0-2. The Falcons, on the other hand, have been inconsistent, but they’re coming off a bye week and should be well-rested.
Texan’s Season Recap
The Texans are led by rookie quarterback CJ Stroud, who has been solid in his first four games as a pro. Stroud has thrown for 793 yards, five touchdowns, and two interceptions. He’s also been a good runner, with 134 yards and two touchdowns on the ground.
Houston Texan’s Running Game
The Texans’ running game has also been a strength, as they’re averaging 127.3 yards per game on the ground. Dameon Pierce has been the Texans’ lead back, but Rex Burkhead has also been effective.
The Texans’ defense has been a bit of a mixed bag. They’ve allowed 20.5 points per game, which is 11th in the NFL. However, they’ve also forced 10 turnovers, which is tied for the most in the league.
Falcon’s Season Recap
The Falcons are led by rookie running back Bijan Robinson, who has been one of the best rookies in the NFL so far this season. Robinson has rushed for 437 yards and five touchdowns in four games. He’s also averaging 5.7 yards per carry.
Falcon’s Passing Game
The Falcons’ passing game has been less consistent. Desmond Ridder has been the Falcons’ starting quarterback, but he’s thrown for just 573 yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions. Drake London has been Ridder’s favorite target, with 21 receptions for 272 yards and two touchdowns.
The Falcons’ defense has been one of the worst in the NFL so far this season. They’re allowing 25.5 points per game, which is 29th in the league. They’ve also forced just four turnovers, which is tied for the fewest in the league.
Texans vs Falcons Prediction
This is a tough game to predict, as both teams are evenly matched. However, I think the Texans have a slight edge because of their defense. I think they’ll be able to force Ridder into some turnovers, which will be the difference in the game.
Pick: Texans 23, Falcons 20
Key Players in Texans vs Falcons
- Texans: CJ Stroud, Dameon Pierce, Rex Burkhead, Lovie Smith, Jonathan Greenard
- Falcons: Desmond Ridder, Bijan Robinson, Drake London, Arthur Smith, Grady Jarrett
Matchups to Watch
- CJ Stroud vs. Falcons defense: Stroud has been solid in his first four games, but he’ll be facing a tough Falcons defense in Week 5. The Falcons have allowed a lot of points this season, but they’ve also forced a lot of turnovers.
- Dameon Pierce vs. Falcons defense: Pierce has been the Texans’ lead back this season, and he’ll be looking for another big game against the Falcons. The Falcons have struggled to stop the run this season, so Pierce should have a good opportunity to have a successful game.
- Texans defense vs. Desmond Ridder: Ridder has been inconsistent in his first four games as a pro. The Texan’s defense has been forcing turnovers all season, so they’ll be looking to capitalize on Ridder’s mistakes.
Even Matched Game
All in all, the Texans vs. Falcons game in Week 5 is one of the most evenly-matched games of the week. Therefore both teams have strengths and weaknesses, and it’s hard to say who will win. However, I think the Texans have a slight edge because of their defense. I think they’ll be able to force Ridder into some turnovers, which will be the difference in the game.
All odds are courtesy of Action247 Sportsbook. Good luck!!
* All odds are provided by Action247 Sportsbook and all odds subject to change.
**All views expressed are my own. My picks are my own and are not a guarantee, bet at your own risk.
Action247 does not warrant the accuracy of completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these post.